A fully loaded 18-wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 lbs., as compared to the average 4,000 lb. weight of a passenger vehicle. Although many crashes involving tractor-trailers are caused by large trucks and their drivers, it is the passenger vehicle occupants who suffer the most serious injuries. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a truck accident, contact the Gwinnett County tractor-trailer accident lawyers at Bross, McAllister & Williams, LLC today. We understand that financial compensation cannot solve all the problems you are facing, but it can make a full recovery easier.
Why Choose Us?
- We are a client-focused firm, dedicated to providing service for all your needs after a serious tractor-trailer crash. If you are unable to come to us, we can visit you in the hospital or in your home.
- Our firm’s lawyers have a proven record of results. We have successfully recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- Our Atlanta truck accident lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, which means you pay us no fees until we recover compensation for you.
What Makes Tractor-Trailer Collisions So Dangerous?
Tractor-trailer crashes can block the roadways, causing mayhem and serious injuries. Negligent tractor-trailer drivers can also cause fatal injuries, a wrongful death attorney in Gwinnett County can guide you in holding the responsible parties accountable. Factors contributing to increased risks involved with large truck accidents include:
- Size and weight of tractor trailers: According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), large commercial trucks can weigh 20 to 30 times as much as passenger cars, making people traveling in smaller vehicles vulnerable to serious injuries. Tractor-trailers are also taller with higher ground clearance than passenger vehicles, which can lead to deadly underride accidents.
- Poor braking ability of large trucks: As stated by IIHS, loaded tractor-trailers need 20 to 40 percent more distance to stop than passenger vehicles. The distance required to stop increases with poorly maintained truck brakes or wet and slippery road conditions. Poor truck braking becomes even more of a threat when a tractor-trailer driver is following too closely.
- Lack of maneuverability in tractor-trailers: Semi tractor-trailers are more difficult to maneuver and require more time and space to change their course. Truck drivers have more trouble stopping to avoid a crash or avoiding hazards and obstacles in the road.
- Hazardous or improperly loaded cargo: Tractor-trailers often transport cargo that is flammable, explosive, or hazardous, which can be disastrous in a crash. Improperly loaded cargo can shift, causing the trailer to flip or jackknife, or fall out in the road, creating dangerous obstacles for other motorists.
Who Is Liable?
Determining liability is one of the factors that makes tractor-trailer accident cases so complex. A Gwinnett County tractor-trailer accident attorney can help you determine liability. Potentially liable parties may include:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Truck owner
- Cargo loaders
- Tractor-trailer manufacturers
- Vehicle parts manufacturers
- Manufacturers of load tie-downs
Why You Need a Gwinnett County Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyer
Tractor-trailer wrecks are complex, typically high-stakes cases involving serious injuries, federal and state regulations, and multiple potentially liable parties. Your best course of action if you have been the victim of such an accident is to speak with an experienced tractor-trailer accident attorney as soon as possible. Trucking companies and their insurers do not have your best interests at heart. Our Gwinnett County personal injury lawyers have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue full and fair compensation on your behalf.
Contact Us Today
At Bross, McAllister & Williams, LLC, we are driven by a passion to work tirelessly for our clients to help them get back on their feet after a serious injury. Call us as soon as you can to find out how our tractor-trailer accident lawyers can assist you in your tractor-trailer accident claim in Gwinnett County. Serving Atlanta, Peachtree Corners, Lawrenceville, Duluth, and the surrounding areas.