When a collision occurs between a bicycle and a motor vehicle, it is the cyclist who will suffer serious injuries. Without the protection of an enclosed vehicle, bicyclists are completely vulnerable in a crash. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is in your best interests to speak with an experienced Toccoa bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Contact Bross, McAllister & Williams, LLC in Toccoa, Atlanta or Suwanee today for a free consultation.
Why Choose Bross, McAllister & Williams, LLC?
- Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, allowing accident victims access to the legal system and justice. There is never a fee unless we recover compensation for you.
- Our Toccoa bicycle accident attorneys communicate clearly and proactively with our personal injury clients, always keeping them up-to-date on the status of their claims.
- We are not intimidated by large insurance companies and will fight for your right to fair compensation, even if it means going to trial.
Bicycle Accident Statistics
As reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 783 bicyclists were killed in traffic crashes in the most recent year for which statistics are available.
- Bicyclist deaths accounted for 2.2% of all motor vehicle fatalities in a recent year.
- 71% of bicyclist fatal accidents occurred in urban areas.
- Only 30% occurred at intersections.
- Children under 15 accounted for 7% of all bicyclists killed in traffic crashes.
- Drinking and driving (for either the driver or the bicyclists) was reported in 35% of all fatal bicycle crashes.
- 95% of the bicyclists who died were killed in a collision with a single vehicle.
- In 78% of fatal bicycle accidents, the bicycle was struck by the front of a vehicle.
- Light trucks were the vehicle type most frequently involved in fatal bicycle accidents.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents in Toccoa
Sadly, many bicycle collisions are caused by negligent drivers. The following are common types of bicycle and motorcycle accidents:
- Rear-ending: Drivers who are distracted, inattentive, or following too closely can easily rear-end a bicyclist who is stopped at a stop sign or attempting to maneuver left to get around parked cars. A rear-end collision that may only amount to a “fender bender” between two vehicles can cause catastrophic personal injuries to a bicyclist.
- Side-swiping: Side-swipe accidents occur when a driver crowds a bicyclist too closely while passing. Motorists should maintain a safe distance when overtaking a bicycle.
- Dooring: This type of crash occurs when a motorist opens a car door directly into the path of an oncoming bicycle. Dooring is most common on busy streets with heavier traffic in which bicyclists are forced to ride closer to parked cars.
- Right or left cross: Bicycles are much smaller and less visible than passenger vehicles and trucks. Many bicycle accidents occur when a driver turns left or right at an intersection directly into the path of an oncoming bicycle. The bicyclist has entered the intersection when the driver executes the turn, having failed to register the bicycle in the roadway.
- Right hook: A bicyclist positioned to the right of a car at an intersection can be hooked when the driver makes a right-hand turn. These accidents happen when drivers fail to check their blind spots before turning right.
If a negligent driver caused your accident, seek legal representation from a Toccoa bicycle accident attorney to hold the responsible parties accountable.
Get the Help you Deserve – Call Us Today
Bicycle crashes can cause serious or catastrophic injuries, requiring extensive medical treatment and may leave you unable to earn a living, with your life changed forever. Call Bross, McAllister & Williams, LLC right away for strong legal representation in a bicycle accident claim in Toccoa, Georgia.